The Adams County Winery has one of the nicest tasting rooms and gift shops I’ve seen yet. The gift shop is stocked with everything from wine related tee shirts and hats to wine racks and home wine making supplies. For the wine enthusiast, a visit to the gift shop alone is worth the trip.
As we moved to the tasting area we were joined by Gavin who is the events coordinator for the winery. Gavin explained that Adams County Winery hosts outdoor concerts ever Saturday night in July and August. There is a bandstand set up on the grounds and a variety of music is offered. Check Adams County Winery’s website in the spring for a schedule of the 2009 concert series. Guests are invited to purchase Adams County Winery’s offerings by the bottle or glass. Food is also available although Gavin told us that guests are invited to bring their picnic baskets and provide their own food.
When I asked John Kramb what he considered to be his signature wines he mentioned the Tears of Gettysburg and the Rebel Red. John explained to me that 90% of people prefer sweet wines and the other 10% (a group that includes me) try to make them feel bad about it. The Tears of Gettysburg is a Niagara blend that “has been a favorite of our friends for years”. It has been named “Best of Show for American Wines” at the Pennsylvania Farm Show. The Tears of Gettysburg is bottled under the Gettysburg Winery label which is reserved for Adams County’s most premium wines. The labels feature famous Civil War Scenes. Brenda really enjoyed the Tears of Gettysburg and insisted that we bring some home.
My favorite Adams County wines were the Seducente and the Rhedd Butler. The Seducente is an estate bottled, medium-bodied, dry red made from 100% Lemberger grapes. The Rhedd Butler is a very light, semi-dry wine uniquely blended from Chardonnay and Chambourcin grapes. A bit sweeter than most of my favorites, its crispness and very easy finish made the Rhedd Butler a very pleasant surprise.
I asked John Kramb how he got started in the wine business. His answer will make for very interesting reading. Stay tuned for Part III of my report for this fascinating story. In the meantime, take a ride to the Adams County Winery for a very enjoyable stay. Don’t forget your wine carrier because you’ll definitely want to take home some of their fine wines.